A balancing valve is similar to a throttling device with variable local resistance. For an incompressible fluid, we can learn from the flow equation: Q – the flow rate through the equilibrium valve. ξ – the resistance coefficient of the balancing valve. P1 – pressure before the valve. P2 – pressure after the valve. F – balancing valve receiver cross-sectional area. ρ – density of the fluid.
When F is determined (for a certain type of equilibrium valve) and the pressure P1-P2 before and after the valve is constant, the flow rate Q is only influenced by the resistance of the balancing valve. ξ increases (when the valve is closed), Q decreases; conversely, ξ decreases (when the valve is open), Q increases.
The objective of an equilibrium valve is to adjust the opening of the spool in order to change the resistance coefficient and regulate the flow. The operation of a static balancing valve is challenging and the adjustment requires intelligent equipment. Even if we have skilled technicians, the flow coupling phenomena make it impossible for the user to attain a balanced condition.
The static equilibrium valves which use valve KV value and valve curve to determine valve opening are commonly used old hydraulic balancing products. They are suitable for heat source-based variable flow systems. During the regulation, the flow between users will be coupled with each other, which makes it difficult for a large number of thermal users to achieve a balanced regulation.
A balancing valve is a special-purpose valve that has quantitative measuring and regulating capabilities. When commissioning the system, the commissioning crew can realize the hydraulic balance of the system by adjusting the balance valve through human-machine dialogue with special intelligent instrument.
It has good flow regulation capabilities with a linear relationship between relative flow rate and relative opening. It provides a precise valve opening indication and the minimum reading is 1% of the valve's maximum opening. It has a reliable opening locking memory device that can be reset after the valve opening changes. It has a shut-off function, thus it is not necessary to install the shut-off valve while installing the equilibrium valve.
1. Easy to use: Engineering construction is more flexible, and project installation in phases or equipment phased use will not influence water system balancing.
2. Easy to change: When some parts of the water system need to be alerted, it won't influence the design and balance of the rest of the system.
3. Lower energy consumption: The complete water system is balanced to guarantee that the refrigeration unit (boiler, heat exchanger) and the pump are operating at peak efficiency, resulting in significant energy savings.
4. Reducing wear and tear and waste: By ensuring that the water flow does not exceed the original design, all equipment is durable, and copper pipes are not lost due to excessive flow.
5. Improve security: The water system's flow balance is automatic, avoiding the risk of artificial destructive regulation.
6. For designers: Workload is reduced with more flexibility. They don't need time-consuming resistance calculations over the entire pipeline. Design time is reduced.
7. You may use the heterogeneous system with confidence: Save costs of pipe, associated materials, and installation. Delegate the work for balancing and hydraulic system to the dynamic flow balancing valve, which can avoid many other issues caused by water system imbalance.